Today Apple released Mac OS X 10.6.6 the 6th major update to Mac OS X Snow Leopard. To update for any supported CPU, simply run Software Update, or download the standalone installer from Apple.
Be sure to back up any important data, and if possible clone your hard drive before applying the update. Testing is underway. Report your results in the forum here.
- The Mac App Store is included! This application shows up in the dock after reboot.
- 10.6.0 Darwin kernel
- Replacement NVIDIA drivers - not Fermi capable.
Most supported systems will not need to make post-installation fixes, but here are a few points to be aware of.
- Graphics - If you're using a NVIDIA 4xx "Fermi" card, you will have to re-run the NVIDIA Update to regain full acceleration. Make sure you have a Mac Pro System Definition installed from MultiBeast, or it will not let you install. You may also use the tonymacx86 NVIDIA Update.
- Audio - The Combo update will replace your AppleHDA.kext. If you aren't using the ALC889a codec, you will have to reinstall AppleHDA Rollback using MultiBeast. If you're using VoodooHDA, you will not need to make any modifications.
- USB - The Combo update will replace your IOUSBFamily,kext. To restore full USB functionality on a non-DSDT or EasyBeast system install USB Rollback using MultiBeast before reboot. Download MultiBeast.
- Sleep enabler kexts are version specific. Remove before installing the update.
For discussions on this and other topics, register today at tonymacx86.com!